Led by the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), this project aimed to improve patient safety by reducing the level of restraint.
- Evaluation of the Implementing the Six Core Strategies (6CS) – UK project
- Led by Professor Richard Whittington, University of Central Lancashire
The Implementing the Six Core Strategies (6CS) – UK project aims to improve patient safety by avoiding unnecessary harm to patients caused by the use of physical restraint using an evidence based restraint reduction approach in eight Mental Health Trusts in the North West of England
The objectives of the evaluation are to gain a better understanding of what works, for whom, in which circumstances, and why with regards to restraint reduction (6CS-UK) in participating wards. The evaluation team will:
- prepare for the tailoring and implementaton of the 6CS -UK
- undertake pre-tests to form a diagnostic and contextual analysis of the current baseline for change
- evaluate the process, outcomes, and sustainability of the practice change using post-tests and carry out a realist evaluation of the intervention.
For more information about this project, please contact Nicola Power, Research Manager at the Health Foundation, and Professor Richard Whittington, University of Central Lancashire