Workforce shortages present a significant risk to the future sustainability of health and care services and one of the greatest challenges lies in nursing.
We are seeing increases in nurses leaving the NHS, a shortage of new nurses, and Brexit has created additional risks with a net inflow of nurses from the EU having already turned into an outflow. While there are initiatives in the NHS long-term plan to build the workforce, with further detail to come from the awaited implementation plan, these will inevitably take time to deliver.
Our event will aim to explore these challenges and the potential solutions that can be applied in the short term, showcasing evidence and best practice from other countries on workforce retention, attrition, and international recruitment.
- Professor Linda Aiken, Director of the Centre for Health Outcomes and Policy Research and Senior Fellow of the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics at the University of Pennsylvania, who has championed supportive environments that allow nurses to provide the highest quality care while delivering higher nurse satisfaction and retention.
- James Buchan, Senior Visiting Fellow, the Health Foundation and an international expert on health care workforce policy
- Anita Charlesworth, Director of Research & Economics, the Health Foundation
- Navina Evans, Chief Executive Officer, East London Foundation Trust
Our speakers will also be joined by an expert panel of:
- Chris Caldwell, Executive Director of Nursing, The Tavistock and Portman Foundation Trust
- Candace Imison, Director of Policy, Nuffield Trust
- Anne Marie Rafferty, President, Royal College of Nursing
Due to high demand and limited places, this is an invitation-only event. If you are keen to attend please email the Events Team and they will be in touch if a place becomes available.
Our third annual report analysing the staff profile and trends in the NHS workforce in England in...
You might also like...
Health Foundation response to further details of plan for a points-based immigration system.
Health Foundation response to ONS data on deaths involving COVID-19 in the care sector, and the...
The pandemic has led to a massive focus on the need to look after the wellbeing of staff. NHS...
Health Foundation @HealthFdn
We're looking for a supplier to support the design, development and delivery of a UK-wide #NHSanchors Learning Netw… https://t.co/pTsIHNcZFcFollow us on Twitter
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the Health Foundation has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more