GenerationQ A funded leadership development and quality improvement programme
- GenerationQ is a funded leadership and quality improvement programme.
- The fellowship is an opportunity for senior leaders working in clinical and non-clinical roles in and with the health service (including charity organisations and policymakers) to gain a postgraduate certificate in Leadership (Quality Improvement) from Ashridge Executive Education at Hult International Business School, with the option of completing an MSc.
- Fellows are sponsored by an appropriate senior member of their organisation who will work with them throughout the fellowship.
GenerationQ is our 18-month part time, funded leadership development programme for senior leaders in clinical and non-clinical roles from across the UK, representing the wide variety of sectors working in and with the health service, including provider, commissioner, policy, regulatory, third sector, local authority and charitable organisations.
The programme is designed to equip Fellows with the skills and techniques to lead and deliver improvements across services and organisations. Fellows will be joining a network of skilled and effective leaders who are able to have an impact on improving quality of care beyond their immediate sphere of influence.
The ninth cohort will be the final round of GenerationQ. The insights we have gathered from everyone who has been a part of the programme will prove invaluable over the coming year, as we consider new ideas and approaches to support leaders of health and social care.
The GenerationQ programme provides:
- an intensive, high impact learning experience, including residential leadership forums, the support of individual executive coaching, action learning in facilitated peer groups, the opportunity to engage with systems beyond health and extensive feedback
- the opportunity to put into practice a significant improvement project in the Fellow’s place of work
- the opportunity to work closely with, and learn from, a multidisciplinary group of peers from diverse backgrounds in health care
- academic rigour and recognition.
For those completing a postgraduate certificate or diploma, we anticipate an average of 10–25 hours of personal study per month over the 18 months of the programme. For an MSc, the time period is extended to two years.
Fellows develop personal skills and strategies for resilience and the confidence to address the challenges of leading health care improvement
Specific benefits of GenerationQ include the opportunity to:
- work with people from different organisations and sectors
- learn about theories of leadership for quality improvement, and how to apply them
- be supported in delivering a significant improvement project in the workplace
Benefits to organisations supporting a GenerationQ Fellow are wide-reaching
By the end of the programme, organisations will have:
- benefited from a significant shift in quality as the Fellow applies their new knowledge
- benefited from the skills and insights of a senior leader adept at generating the cultural change necessary to underpin quality improvement
- benefited from an improvement project addressing real-time quality challenges, grounded in organisational priorities
- experienced an increase in excitement and interest within the organisation for improving quality as the Fellow shares their learning and experiments with others.
GenerationQ is funded and all Fellows receive a financial grant to assist them with essential costs, such as travel and accommodation.
If you have any queries about the programme, please email GenerationQ@health.org.uk.
Kheelna is a GenerationQ Fellow and a South London GP, an Associate Medical Director for the London region, NHS England, and a Deputy Postgraduate Dean for the London region, Health Education England.
Health Foundation @HealthFdn
RT @Gummifot: I’m excited to share the results from a study I’ve been working on as part of the #ImprovementAnalytics Unit at @HealthFdn. I…Follow us on Twitter
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the Health Foundation has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more