PhDs in improvement science
Our PhDs aim to develop improvement science by helping to build a critical mass of improvement science research at leading institutions
- Our PhDs in improvement science support the long-term development of this field by working with UK research organisations.
- Aims to develop improvement science by helping to build a critical mass of improvement science research at leading institutions.
- Funding awarded to nine universities in 2013 and a further four research organisations received funding for two PhD students in 2015.
Our PhDs offer an opportunity for researchers to specialise in applied improvement science early on in their career. It will enable them to work with partners and collaborators in the health service, and ultimately contribute to the knowledge base of the science of improvement.
PhD studies in improvement science complement our other investments in this field including the post-doctoral Improvement Science Fellowships and the Improvement Science Development Group, which all contribute to building a scientific evidence base to facilitate improvements across health care.
We have awarded funding to thirteen research organisations to support two PhD students each in the study of improvement science for up to five years.
The nine research organisations who received funding in 2013 are:
- University of Dundee
- Imperial College London
- Kings College London
- Newcastle University
- University College London
- University of Leeds
- University of Leicester
- University of Manchester
- University of Nottingham
The four research organisations who received funding in 2015 are:
- East Midlands Improvement Science Development Network (University of Leicester and University of Nottingham)
- University College London
- University of Birmingham
- University of Southampton (on behalf of NIHR CLAHRC Wessex)
Each research organisation was selected because of their strong existing body of research related to improvement science, and because they are well positioned to contribute to building a scientific evidence base to facilitate improvements across health care.
Interested in improvement research funding opportunities?
In January 2018 the Health Foundation established THIS Institute (The Healthcare Improvement Studies Institute), an improvement research institute that will develop evidence on a massive scale across the NHS about what works to improve patient care.
THIS Institute aims to create a world-leading asset for the NHS and for science by strengthening the evidence base for improving health care.
The Healthcare Improvement Studies Institute will develop evidence on a massive scale across the NHS about what works to impr...
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the Health Foundation has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more