Jennifer Dixon looks to the government to develop an explicit strategy to tackle the wider determinants of health and reduce health inequalities.
Health Equity in England: The Marmot Review 10 Years On Commissioned by the Health Foundation, the Institute of Health Equity is working to examine progress in addressing health inequalities in England and propose recommendations for future action.
- Published in 2010, The Marmot Review: Fair Society, Healthy Lives was a landmark study of health inequalities in England.
- While there has been progress in some areas since 2010, there is growing evidence that health inequalities are widening and life expectancy is stalling.
- The Health Foundation commissioned Professor Sir Michael Marmot and his team at the Institute of Health Equity to examine progress in addressing health inequalities in England and propose recommendations for future action.
Why are we doing this?
The landmark Marmot Review: Fair Society, Healthy Lives was published in February 2010 and outlined the scale of health inequalities in England and the actions required to reduce them. The report highlighted the need to take action across the social determinants of health, and called for progress to be made on a clear set of policy objectives. However, life expectancy is stalling, after steady increases for the past 100 years, and health inequalities are widening.
Commissioned by the Health Foundation, the Institute of Health Equity is working to examine how health inequalities have changed and what progress has been made on tackling the social determinants of health. The review, led by Professor Sir Michael Marmot, will recommend practical proposals for action at national, regional and local level by:
- assessing national and local actions on the social determinants of health
- considering how effective these approaches have been in improving health and reducing inequalities
- undertaking a ‘deep dive’ analysis into some aspects of the key social determinants of health, including in early years and education; work and income; and housing, places, and communities
- examining societal trends affecting health inequalities since 2010.
Find out more
For further information, please contact:
Assistant Director of Strategic Partnerships, the Health Foundation
Deputy Director, Institute of Health Equity
This report by the Institute of Health Equity and commissioned by the Health Foundation explores widening health inequalities over the past decade and proposes recommendations for action.
Sir Michael Marmot blogs about stalling life expectancy increases and the importance of tackling the health inequalities that underlie it
We have commissioned the IHE to work on an analysis of health inequalities in England and update of the Marmot Review to be published in February 2020, on the 10-year anniversary of the Marmot Review.