- Generally, patient/user involvement in health professional education is low on the agenda of influential leaders in health professional education.
- There is strong evidence that patient/user involvement has short-term benefits for all involved
- There has been little research on longer term benefits.
- Innovations require a champion, institutional buy-in, support, adequate infrastructure and funding. Cultural change may be required.
- There is a need for a central repository of good practice
- The Health Foundation recommends holding meetings between leaders and thinkers from academic institutions, professional bodies, the healthcare system, the lay community and other stakeholders to address the issues raised in this report.
There is strong evidence that involving patients and service users in healthcare professionals' education has short-term benefits for all involved. Longer term, there has been little evaluation to discover whether this involvement has an effect on the behaviour or practice of health professionals or on health outcomes.
This report aims to describe the current state of active patient involvement in the education of health and social care professionals, both in the literature and in practice. It aims to highlight areas for further research and development.
You might also like...
Our response to the Care Quality Commission’s annual assessment of the state of health and social care in England.
The decisions we make about technology today will have implications for the entire social care system, says Lydia Nicholas, f...
Health Foundation response to NHS England monthly statistics for August and September 2019.
Health Foundation @HealthFdn
The decisions we make about technology today will have implications for the entire social care system, says… https://t.co/oCqdxuzZKmFollow us on Twitter
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the Health Foundation has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more