- The greatest influences on people's health and wellbeing come from outside health care, including factors such as education, employment, housing, and community.
- In 2017 the Health Foundation started implementing a long-term strategy to improve people's health in the UK.
- This document introduces eight key themes that underpin the strategy.
Good health is an asset. It is necessary for a prosperous and flourishing society. The greatest influences on our wellbeing and health are factors such as education and employment, housing, and the extent to which community facilitates healthy habits and social connection.
Access to health care could account for as little as 10% of a population’s health and wellbeing. While equipping health care systems to provide safe, timely and effective care is as important as ever, this is far from sufficient on its own to improve people’s health in the UK. In 2017, the Health Foundation started implementing our long-term strategy to bring about better health for people in the UK.
The aims of the strategy are to:
- change the conversation so the focus is on health as an asset, rather than ill health as a burden
- promote national policies that support everyone’s opportunities for a healthy life
- support local action to address variations in people’s opportunities for a healthy life.
The strategy has been developed through extensive formal and informal engagement with multiple stakeholders. This engagement has highlighted that the impact of our strategy will not rely on simply ‘what’ the Foundation chooses to focus on as much as ‘how’ we approach the challenge. Drawing on the insights gathered so far, we have identified eight themes to guide our strategy to improve people’s health in the UK. We outline these themes in this document and why we think they are important.
In the course of developing the themes that guide our strategy, we have come across a number of useful resources and case studies – find them listed in our Resources Guide.
As little as 10% of a population’s health and wellbeing is linked to access to health care. This infographic looks at some of...
Twelve months ago, the Health Foundation set out to explore our contribution to enabling everyone in the UK to live a healthy...
Infographic looking at how our health is influenced by the food we eat.
You might also like...
Find out more about our work with the Frameworks Institute to help people think differently about health.
Health Foundation response to launch of new long term plan for the NHS in England
Health Foundation response to Prime Minister’s announcement of NHS long term plan.
Health Foundation @HealthFdn
How can the #NHSlongtermplan be implemented on the front line? Writing in @bmj_latest, @willwarburtonHF reflects o… https://t.co/SyxCSGi7ewFollow us on Twitter
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the Health Foundation has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more