Better health within reach – Professor Dame Sally Davies's tenth report as Chief Medical Officer – considers what the state of the public’s health in England in 2040 could look like.
The Health Foundation was invited to author a chapter setting out a vision for the creating healthy local environments by 2040. In the chapter we make the case that:
- Viewing people’s health as the primary asset for our nation would revolutionise the way decisions are made at national and local levels, putting health and wellbeing at the heart of all policy.
- The environment people live in has an enormous impact on their health. Large numbers of people are currently exposed to sub‑optimal conditions, which means there is enormous potential to improve health through creating better environments.
- Creating healthy local environments can only be done within an overarching, national context which encourages health creation as a goal of equal importance to wealth creation.
- Three fundamental changes in thinking and practice are required at the national level, including expanding our view of health, expanding our view of success and expanding our view of how to intervene to produce health outcomes.
- Local government has a pivotal role to play in creating healthy local environments.
This briefing paper assesses the extent of cuts to the public health grant since 2014/15 and projects the amount required per...
A briefing that asks: what is the social and economic value of maintaining and improving people's health?
You might also like...
The newly emerging PCNs provide an opportunity to tackle health inequalities in England but they will have to be careful to a...
Health Foundation response to ONS data showing an astonishing difference in the risk of avoidable death between the rich and ...
The Health Foundation selects organisations to develop policy recommendations for action in seven key areas as part of the Yo...
Health Foundation @HealthFdn
Data analytics enables new information flows to and from patients and the public. This helps people make better-in… https://t.co/8dO4tZsA6DFollow us on Twitter
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the Health Foundation has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more