- 29% of GPs in the UK want to leave the profession within 5 years: understanding this phenomenon and retaining existing GPs needs to be a priority for policy makers.
- GPs in the UK report higher levels of stress and lower satisfaction with practising medicine compared to other countries in the survey. 67% of UK GPs report being satisfied compared to an average of 79% across all other countries.
- A key area of dissatisfaction is the length of appointment times – 92% of GPs report spending less than 15 minutes with patients, compared to an average of 27% across all other countries
- GPs in all countries report struggling to coordinate care for their patients. The UK compares favourably in terms of communication between hospitals and GPs. However, GPs report challenges coordinating care with social services and community providers.
- The UK is a leader in the use of electronic medical records, with 98% of GPs routinely using an EMR in daily practice.
Every 3 years, the US-based Commonwealth Fund coordinates a survey of general practitioners (GPs) and primary care physicians across 11 countries. This report provides UK-focused analysis of the 2015 survey, which included several UK-specific questions funded by the Health Foundation.
The report centres on three topics of particular interest: GP satisfaction, care coordination and use of electronic medical records.
The survey provides insight into how GPs perceive their working lives and practices at a time when health services across the UK are seeking to develop more services in primary care.
What do you want first: the good news or the bad news? The good news is that we are one of the best of 11 developed nation...
You might also like...
The newly emerging PCNs provide an opportunity to tackle health inequalities in England but they will have to be careful to a...
Nineteen health and health care leaders have been selected from across Europe to join the third cohort of Sciana: The Health ...
Project that will use behavioural insights methods to optimise health care workers’ medication prescribing and use choices, i...
Health Foundation @HealthFdn
Data analytics enables new information flows to and from patients and the public. This helps people make better-in… https://t.co/8dO4tZsA6DFollow us on Twitter
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the Health Foundation has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more