Additional funding for health care was announced in the 2015 Autumn Statement. It has been front-loaded in 2015/16 and 2016/17. For this investment, primary care and mental health were stated as priorities.
- Rising costs outstripped growth in funding for NHS providers, whose financial position continued to worsen.
- Demand for care is rising faster than NHS provider income, with emergency admissions crowding out elective admissions.
- Efficiency gains are becoming increasingly difficult and are below target.
- The number of consultants has increased, but productivity has fallen.
- The NHS does not operate in isolation; system change is needed to tackle its financial problems and their root causes.
The NHS is facing unprecedented financial pressures 2.5 years after the publication of the Five year forward view.
This report analyses the finances of NHS providers and the consultant productivity of acute NHS hospitals, drawing on their annual acounts from 2009/10 to 2015/16 and linking this to wider NHS data.
Our analyses show that NHS providers saw relatively little of the income growth for the NHS as a whole, and that productivity for consultants and the wider workforce in acute hospitals has been falling.
This report examines the financial performance of the NHS in England, with the main focus on the...
In this report we examine the financial performance of NHS providers, focusing on hospitals.
You might also like...
Health Foundation response to further details of plan for a points-based immigration system.
The NHS will not be able to restart all of its services at once and difficult decisions will have to be made
Health Foundation response to NHS England's monthly performance statistics.
Health Foundation response to the Chancellor's measures to support the UK's recovery from the...
Health Foundation @HealthFdn
We're looking for a supplier to support the design, development and delivery of a UK-wide #NHSanchors Learning Netw… https://t.co/pTsIHNcZFcFollow us on Twitter
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the Health Foundation has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more