- This thought paper is the result of a week-long study tour to India, facilitated by the International Partnership for Innovative Healthcare Delivery (IPIHD).
- The Health Foundation and representatives of the UK health system were among the tour participants and this thought paper presents their reflections on the lessons from the tour – and what they might mean for healthcare in the UK.
The tour was intended for senior leaders of healthcare systems and industry to learn from what is working in healthcare delivery. The tour provided an inside view of two specialist healthcare systems and two networks of care in Bangalore and Hyderabad. It was designed to explore new models that challenge the assumptions that can be taken for granted. Participants saw first-hand how innovation can drive quality and efficiency simultaneously.
The sites visited were:
- Narayana Health - provides high quality, affordable cardiac care
- Vaatsalya - provides affordable and accessible primary and secondary healthcare services
- LifeSpring - provides maternity care for between a third and a fifth of the cost of private hospitals
- LV Prasad Eye Institute - provides world-class eye care and 50% of its care is provided free.