- Led by Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- Implemented by Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, and Yorkshire and Humber Academic Health Science Network.
- Focuses on a crucial patient safety hazard: the omission of patients in identifying gaps in hospital safety.
- Uses a new intervention called Patient Reporting and Action for a Safe Environment (PRASE) tool to allow inpatients to provide feedback on the safety of care.
- Running from early 2014 to mid 2016.
The project is evaluating the potential for hospital volunteers to work in partnership with patient safety teams in the hospital, to embed PRASE into hospital ward routines.
PRASE allows patients to provide feedback including factors such as staff communication, equipment availability, organisation and care planning as well as examples of concerns they had about their safety, or the safety of others, while on the ward. Ward staff can then use this feedback in their local action planning and safety improvement activities. As well as providing a sustainable method of patient safety measurement, volunteers may provide wider benefits of companionship and compassion and there is evidence to suggest that patients would prefer to report safety concerns to an independent party.
The key objectives of the project are:
- determine whether PRASE can be successfully implemented and spread within acute hospital settings in partnership with hospital volunteers
- identify whether this implementation can lead to measurable improvements in quality and safety.
The project has two stages:
- Stage 1: hospital volunteers collect patient feedback using PRASE
- Stage 2: wider implementation of PRASE intervention.
During the project, the project manager will monitor completed questionnaires to ensure that any immediate safety concerns raised by patients are not missed while a reliable process is being established.
The project is being led by Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. It is being implemented by Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, and Yorkshire and Humber Academic Health Science Network.
The evaluation team includes staff at Bradford Institute for Health Research and the universities of Bradford, Leeds and York.