328.11 KB pdf
- Q stands for quality. Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.
- We are creating opportunities for people to come together as an improvement community – sharing ideas, enhancing skills and collaborating to make health and care better.
- Applications are now open. As part of a pilot to grow the community, opportunities to join Q are now open until 18 August. Wider opportunities to join Q will be available from autumn 2016.
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK. It is being led by the Health Foundation and supported and co-funded by NHS Improvement.
Q’s mission is to foster continuous and sustainable improvement in health and care. To achieve this, we are creating opportunities for people to come together as an improvement community – sharing ideas, enhancing skills and collaborating to make health and care better.
Q is being created for the long term to support individuals and their existing improvement work. Through this, Q benefits members’ organisations and the populations they serve. It has been designed to complement and help connect other initiatives and networks.
The Q community is made of up a diverse range of people including those at the front line of health and social care, patient leaders, managers, researchers, policymakers and others. This diversity boosts the power of Q as a source of innovation and practical problem solving.
Q was co-designed with 231 founding members. This helps ensure Q is genuinely helpful to the diverse range of people leading improvement. Q will continue to evolve – being shaped with the community as it grows.
Over the coming years we envisage Q will become a community of thousands of people.
This is an exciting time to join as we begin to pilot a variety of activities and opportunities. Some of these will be led by the Health Foundation, with others led by members and partner organisations.
There is no membership fee to join. People in the community have the flexibility to commit and participate in ways that fit with their lives and their improvement work. It is not a taught programme, but a network of support for those already knowledgeable in and undertaking improvement work.
The next stage of growing the community is a pilot. We have identified a small number of people to apply, ahead of wider opportunities taking place later in the year. Applications are open from 21 July until 18 August to those with improvement expertise who:
- bring a patient’s or carer’s perspective and are working predominately at a national level
- are an alumnus of one of the improvement courses we have identified and/or
- work in one of a number of identified national organisations.
Other opportunities to join Q will take place from the autumn of 2016. Please register your interest if you would like to be kept up to date.
If you are interested in applying to join Q as part of the summer pilot, please follow these steps.
1. Important supporting information
All applicants should read the supporting information including:
2. The application process
Applicants need to complete and submit their application online via our new portal AIMS. We estimate it will take one to two hours to complete the form and the accompanying applicant survey from our independent evaluators. You can save the application part way through and come back to it later.
Full guidance on accessing, completing and submitting your application via AIMS can be found in the applicants’ user guide and the AIMS support page. We recommend that you keep a copy of this manual, along with the applicant guidance, to hand and refer to it while you complete your application.
The application form will require you to address three criteria:
- COMMITMENT: considered and lived commitment to collaborative improvement
- KNOWLEDGE: ability to articulate and reflect on the approaches used personally and by others involved in improving quality
- EXPERIENCE: experience of playing an influential role in efforts to improve quality across boundaries
Further details can be found in the applicant guidance.
If you have a technical issue with the AIMS system please email AIMS@health.org.uk.
3. Further information
To support those applying to join Q we are hosting a series of information calls. While the calls are available to anyone, we will particularly focusing on questions relevant for each group.
- Thursday 28 July 12.30pm – 1.30pm: for those applying as an alumni of the identified improvement courses
- Wednesday 3 August 1.00pm – 2.00pm: for those applying as employees of identified national organisations
- Friday 5 August 1.00pm – 2.00pm: for those applying who are bringing a patient’s or carer’s perspective and are working predominately at a national level
Please register if you would like to join.
If you have a question regarding Q or the application, please email JoiningQ@health.org.uk.
The deadline for all applications is 11.59pm (BST) on Thursday 18 August. We are not able to accept submissions after this date.