Assistant Director of Strategy and Policy
Chief executive's office
Hugh joined the Health Foundation in October 2018 as Assistant Director of Strategy and Policy.
Hugh previously worked at The King’s Fund as Senior Policy Adviser to the Chief Executive, where he published research and policy analysis on a range of topics –including national NHS reforms, integration of health and social care services, and opportunities to improve population health. He also provided policy advice to the NHS and government.
Before he joined the Health Foundation, Hugh was a Harkness Fellow in Health Care Policy and Practice in the United States, based at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), and Berkeley. Hugh’s research in the US focused on approaches to address patients’ social and economic needs, like unstable housing and food insecurity. Hugh has also worked as a management consultant at PwC, working on health policy and improvement, and on Sir John Oldham’s Independent Commission on Whole Person Care.
- Alderwick H, Gottlieb LM, Fichtenberg CM, Adler NE. Social prescribing in the U.S. and England: emerging interventions to address patients' social needs. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2018;54(5):715-718.
- Alderwick H, Shortell SM, Biggs ADM, Fisher ES. Can accountable care organisations really improve the English NHS? Lessons from the United States. BMJ. 2018;360:k921.
- Alderwick H, Ham C. Sustainability and transformation plans for the NHS in England: what do they say and what happens next? BMJ. 2017;356:j1541.
- Alderwick H, Raleigh V. Yet more performance rating for the NHS. BMJ. 2017;358:j3836.
- Alderwick H, Dunn P, McKenna H, Walsh N, Ham C. Sustainability and transformation plans in the NHS: how are they being developed in practice? London: The King’s Fund; 2016.
- Ham C, Baird B, Gregory S, Jabbal J, Alderwick H. The NHS under the coalition government. Part one: NHS reform. London: The King’s Fund; 2015.
Health Foundation @HealthFdn
Really interesting reading from @AYPHcharity & @NuffieldTrust highlighting important inequalities for young people.… https://t.co/rdKCnyXDroFollow us on Twitter
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the Health Foundation has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more