Scaling Up Improvement
Our Scaling Up Improvement programme supports teams to take successful interventions or approaches and deliver them at scale, to improve health care in the UK
- The programme supports teams with approaches or interventions that have been successfully tested at a small scale, shown to improve care and are now ready to be implemented more widely.
- Each project team receives up to £500,000 of funding to deliver successful interventions at scale.
- We fund projects that aim to scale and spread tested interventions or approaches to improve the delivery of health care services.
Selected projects work to make improvements at scale at care pathway, health board, clinical network, organisational, regional or national levels, resulting in direct impact on patient outcomes.
Applications come from teams with a strong track record in large scale change management, quality improvement, patient involvement, measurement and evaluation. Project teams partner with another organisation that can support spread regionally or nationally.
Benefits for successful teams
- Funding of up to £500,000 for each of the successful projects.
- Protected time to implement an improvement project.
- Opportunities to tap into improvement expertise and tailored coaching support.
- Opportunities to deepen knowledge about evaluation of improvement interventions and the process of adoption and spread.
- Opportunities to connect with other project teams, to strengthen existing networks and develop new networks.
- Opportunities to be seen as leaders in health care improvement and to showcase work to a variety of key stakeholders.
This project aims to improve access to care and increase patient empowerment by scaling up a successful service where people with cochlear implants are offered personalised support.
PReCePT2: Reducing brain injury through improving uptake of magnesium sulphate in preterm deliveries
This project aims to increase uptake of magnesium sulphate to protect babies’ brains during premature births.
This project supports young people who attend hospital because of a violence-related injury in Nottingham and Birmingham, and aims to empower young people to lead healthy, productive lives away from c...
This project aims to improve outcomes for patients within primary care in the London Borough of Southwark by making the right thing to do the easy thing to do for busy GPs.
This is an initiative to improve recovery following major surgery and reduce post-surgical complications using ERAS+, a proven pre- and post-surgery training programme.
This project aims to alleviate discomfort and reduce pressure damage in people at high risk of developing pressure ulcers.
This project aims to spread the use of outpatient video consultations. It will create a virtual consultation unit within Barts Health and form a national network of sites.
Helping young people THRIVE: Implementing a person-centred model of care for young people’s mental health
This project aimed to enable mental health services to be delivered according to the needs and preferences of young people and their families.It involved using an integrated, person-centred model of c...
FREED-UP: First episode and rapid early intervention service for young people with eating disorders – upscaled
This project aimed to achieve quality improvements, including rapid access to effective treatment, across four UK eating disorder services. It developed evidence for the national scalability of FREED,...
This project extended the benefits of shared haemodialysis care patients at 19 trusts, enabling them to participate in their own treatment. It aimed to improve patient experience in dialysis units and...
Health Foundation @HealthFdn
In our session at #LGApublichealth19 today we shared copies of the guide we launched with @Blueprint4Biz to highlig… https://t.co/xtz5WcFUTlFollow us on Twitter
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the Health Foundation has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more