Scaling Up Improvement
Our Scaling Up Improvement programme supports teams to take successful interventions or approaches and deliver them at scale, to improve health care in the UK
- The programme supports teams with approaches or interventions that have been successfully tested at a small scale, shown to improve care and are now ready to be implemented more widely.
- Each project team receives up to £500,000 of funding to deliver successful interventions at scale.
- We fund projects that aim to scale and spread tested interventions or approaches to improve the delivery of health care services.
Selected projects work to make improvements at scale at care pathway, health board, clinical network, organisational, regional or national levels, resulting in direct impact on patient outcomes.
Applications come from teams with a strong track record in large scale change management, quality improvement, patient involvement, measurement and evaluation. Project teams partner with another organisation that can support spread regionally or nationally.
Benefits for successful teams
- Funding of up to £500,000 for each of the successful projects.
- Protected time to implement an improvement project.
- Opportunities to tap into improvement expertise and tailored coaching support.
- Opportunities to deepen knowledge about evaluation of improvement interventions and the process of adoption and spread.
- Opportunities to connect with other project teams, to strengthen existing networks and develop new networks.
- Opportunities to be seen as leaders in health care improvement and to showcase work to a variety of key stakeholders.
Telemedicine for adults with cochlear implants in the UK: empowering patients to manage their own hearing health care
This project aims to improve access to care and increase patient empowerment by scaling up a successful service where people with cochlear implants are offered personalised support.
PReCePT2: Reducing brain injury through improving uptake of magnesium sulphate in preterm deliveries
This project aims to increase uptake of magnesium sulphate to protect babies’ brains during premature births.
This project supports young people who attend hospital because of a violence-related injury in Nottingham and Birmingham, and aims to empower young people to lead healthy, productive lives away from c...
Scaling up a clinical effectiveness approach to drive up quality and reduce unwarranted variation in general practice
This project aims to improve outcomes for patients within primary care in the London Borough of Southwark by making the right thing to do the easy thing to do for busy GPs.
This is an initiative to improve recovery following major surgery and reduce post-surgical complications using ERAS+, a proven pre- and post-surgery training programme.
This project aims to alleviate discomfort and reduce pressure damage in people at high risk of developing pressure ulcers.
This project aims to spread the use of outpatient video consultations. It will create a virtual consultation unit within Barts Health and form a national network of sites.
Led by Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust, in partnership with North East London NHS Foundation Trust, Anna Freud Centre, Dartmouth Center for Healthcare Delivery Science, UCLPartners and Youn...
FREED-UP: First episode and rapid early intervention service for young people with eating disorders – upscaled
Led by South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust and King’s College London, in partnership with Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust, Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust...
Led by Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, with evaluation by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC...
Health Foundation @HealthFdn
When it comes to what makes us healthy, are people seeing the full picture? And where do they think responsibility… https://t.co/JnivDWMWfmFollow us on Twitter
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the Health Foundation has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more